There were two options for reading this book. The original 1979 version....

or the 2009 'recrafted'(author's own description) version.

****I read the 30th Anniversary Edition****
I believe I would have enjoyed the original more. The added 70 pages or so became more explicit than was necessary. It's 100% the same story, why add the vile language? That said....
What a fascinating book. The premise of two men born the exact day, worlds apart in location and privilege, to await when and how their paths would eventually cross - I was captivated.
This was probably the most Man's Book that I've ever read. It has all the feelings of power, ambition, coldness... Not a lot of nurturing going on.
To sum up: If a group of older gentlemen all got together for their Book Club and were deciding on a book to read - THIS IS THE ONE.
No comments:
Post a Comment